Thursday, March 17, 2011

Choices

OK...so it's been a while since I last posted. The truth is I had so many thoughts swirling around in my head that I couldn't settle down and write anything.

In a detour from my C.S. Lewis studies I'm thinking about choices lately. I've learned over the last few years, that I don't HAVE to do anything. Since having my son there are a lot of times where I have done things I don't want to do (ie. leaving him at the sitter's house yesterday when he was screaming "Mommy" as I walked out). But I have tried to stop using the "I have no choice." or "Mommy HAS to do this" language. Because those statements are simply not true.

Don't get me wrong, the choice is not easy, or simple, but it is a choice. I don't HAVE to go work, I don't HAVE to go to Club (our weekly outreach to high school kids) every Monday night. I don't HAVE to make dinner, clean the kitchen, play with my son, bring home half our household income. The truth is, I choose those things.

Sometimes I choose them because I want to; I love my job, I love club, I love a clean kitchen. Sometimes I choose them because I'm called to; in spite of how I feel, I know that God has called me to this life today and out of obedience to Him, I go. Sometimes I choose them because it is the responsible thing to do; I go to Club because it will go better if I'm there, and it's an example to my team and if I don't go enough times I'll probably lose my job which means I would lose my income, we would lose our house...you get the idea.

The trap we as women, especially working moms, put ourselves in is believing the lie that we don't have a choice. That we are indeed trapped.

"Everything is permissable--but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissable--but not everything is constructive." 1 Corinthians 10:23

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." John 8:36

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10

It is a lie from the pit of hell that you don't have a choice. Satan has been fooling humanity since Eden with the lie that God is holding out on us. A life in Christ is freedom. Freedom to choose, to make tough calls, to sacrifice joyfully, to live a life of glorious freedom.

I have freedom, and full life in Christ. I make small and big choices every day, and they have consequences, some that I will not tolerate. So I choose...

I choose...work
I choose...ministry
I choose...sacrifice
I choose...patience
I choose...love
I choose...Jesus


The point is....

I CHOOSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment